I can be contacted on thehighlandtiger@yahoo.co.uk

Friday 26 March 2010

Monster Quest and the Werewolf

As I said in my previous I post, I'd try and find somewhere to watch this episode, and thanks to the wonders of the internet I've now done so.

Well well well, there are a lot of people out there with some egg on their faces. It turns out that the Gable Werewolf film is nothing more than a simple hoax. and a very well done one at that




I see some parallels with this film and the famous Patterson Gimli film of Bigfoot. In both cases people see what they want to see. Debating crytpo-posters on various forums all looked at the Gable film, and saw gorillas, bears, cats, porcupines, oh and even werewolves. They saw rippling muscles, the sun shining off the fur, movement that no human could replicate, etc. But in reality it was just some redneck in a ghillie suit running on all fours. It wasn't even a fur suit and yet people were still fooled.

If they guy hadn't come forward, people would still be convinced it was genuine. It just shows how easy people can be fooled, and how little evidence they need to prove to themselves something exists.

The same with Patti the bigfoot. I believe it is a man in a suit. The over analysis of the grainy film may convince others, but it's not evidence to me. In fact the only difference between the two films, is that only the Gable film hoaxer has come forward.


As for the rest of the episode, just a couple of points spring to mind. On a personal level I rate the existance of werewolves up there with the Mothman and the Jersey Devil, or even the UK's own Owlman, (yet another hoax perpetrated by a CFZ member and embellished for profit by it's director). But I don't rule out the existance of larger than average wolves. Although the "investigators" claimed they had proved that wolves were in the area, they in fact did no such thing. The print they found and the scat could quite have easily come from a dog or coyote. And although their trigger cameras filmed deer, bear and coyote, they didn't film any wolves. So I think the jury is out on that one at the moment.

And finally, is it just me, but did anyone else think that playing tapes of wolf howls in the middle of the night in some back wood in the middle of nowhere was not a very sensible thing to do. If there were wolves in the area, and they had heard those tapes, those wolves would have immediately thought that a rival pack was in the area, and would have investigated. Possibly creating a very dangerous situation.


All in all it was a typical Monster Quest production. A few re-enactments, a bit of grainy footage, and a group of researchers wandering the woods pointing at things but never finding any real proof. (I know,I've been there). A bit hooky but a great way to waste an hour or so.


I'm going to miss this show.

No comments:

Post a Comment